Friday, December 30, 2011

Owlies

Back in August, when I was attending my cousins wedding, I met several of my other cousins' children for the first time. Most notable was when I was standing in the kitchen talking and one of my cousins' wives came in carrying their little girl. When they got close she leaned forward, as if wanting me to hold her. However, her aim was my shirt. I was wearing Threadless' Doctor-Hoo shirt. She pointed at the owls as if counting (I think she's two...maybe?). Her mother said that she simply loved owls. It was really adoraLinkble. So because it was amusing and cute, when I came across an Owl pattern to knit in Kate Boyette's KnitWit book, I knew there was something a little extra going to their house this Christmas. I knit the owl up and stitched on the face so things couldn't be pulled off and swallowed. I think it turned our pretty good if I do say so myself. :)

Owls are so interesting. We had a Great Horned Owl that lived in the woods in the backyard when I was growing up. I haven't heard him in ages though. :( Mum collected them for ages and I still think they are neat (we have dozens of them around). Now with Harry Potter's popularity and the use of owls in the series, was it any wonder they are still really neat. I also love the train, so when I saw this pattern pop up today on the Ravelry side bar adverts, I had to click. Titled the Hogwarts Express but is in fact a shawl with owls?! Awesome! Don't know that I really talked about it too much in the post-letter receiving Pottermore post, but I "bought" an owl. Just seemed more fun to the experience over a toad or cat. I don't think I ever really determined a name for him, but still like Priestly. :D

When I was rooting around the internet for Halloween things and came across the Gleeful Things crafting website, I discovered a little Etsy shop, Mini Tidbits, that makes great owl pillows. There are tons of them all over Etsy, but i really liked the look of that shops, especially that Halloween on featured on Gleeful Things in October.

No comments: