Monday, May 30, 2011

Let the summer begin!


Too fraking cute! I love the summer (hate the heat), but s'mores and camp fires are amazing. I have many good memories of gathering around that burning log, marshmellows flaming, and songs being sung.

I know that I am going to have to make this by the end of the summer. XD

It also reminds me a little of Calcifer from Howl's Moving Castle (the book and the anime film).

Speaking of films, came across this scarf. I need to decide on a friend who is completely obsessed with film to make it for. I really enjoy that the pattern also comes with color ideas for the various genres of film. Hilarious!

Since I just got my car detailed I won't be purchasing this, but it is still amusing. I might get it for a later date actually. Overall, I have a few friends that this would be good for. :D It would make a neat birthday/christmas/holiday present add on.

Okay, so this post is actually about the nifty tree branch magnets, however that is an amazing to do list. I feel the need to put one up myself. Because I think everyone needs a reminder to BE AWESOME!

And something really awesome? It's Memorial Day. I like to use this day as a marker of the beginning of summer, but also for it's actual purpose. The day of remembrance for those who served.

I went on a little search hunt for neat patterns. Didn't find too much, but there is a cool initiative out of New Orleans for WWII vets and it seems like something that could be expanded. Getting something handmade is exciting for everyone. But it sounds like a nice thing to show appreciation for some of those who have served and survived. Might have to look into the or make something random for a few of the service men/women I know.

This reminded me of some books I've come across that address the issue of what happens after you knit things for you. They talked about the progression of a knitter in most cases. They start by knitting things for themselves, then move to knitting for people they know, and then for people they don't. There are a few books in particular that I liked; Knitting for Peace: Make the World a Better Place One Stitch at a Time by Betty Christiansen and Kiriko Shirobayashi and Knitting for Good!: A Guide to Creating Personal, Social, and Political Change Stitch by Stitch by Betsy Greer. I'm mixing my stages and want to do it all at once!

Since I've developed my renewed interest in knitting, I've been reading books. Tons of books. Books on patterns, but I am starting to really branch out into the ones about fiber. I also have a keen interest in the ones on the history about knitting. This one struck my fancy Knitting America: A Glorious Heritage from Warm Socks to High Art by Susan M. Strawn. I may have to put this one on my Kindle queue.

No comments: