Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloweeny Craftings Part Deux!

Halloween is here!

I really wanted to make this TV jack-o-lantern, but I couldn't find any of the vinyl for the face...I have an ulterior motive scheme for the vinyl so finding it would have been marvelous.

But just wait, I will eventually make this. *nods* Oh yes.

And speaking of jack-o-lanterns here are a few of the products of the craving festivities of yesterday!

I ended up carving four of them to my BFF's one. Her sister chose to play with the pumpkin guts and clean it all out for us. I'd also purchased a build-the-haunted-village gingerbread house kit so her sister (being an architect) had a ball with that and ended up using it in a kid mentoring lesson later in the week. We only kept two of the carved ones I did, the other two went to other homes one with the BFF and her hubby and one to her parents.

Unfortunately, Jack-o-lanterns look much more amazing in person, but the cat-in-the-boot looks okay here. Cerberus (or Fluffy, depending on what you know) looks really strange. He looked awesome in person and I would totally carve him again.

I did do glow stick guts in a jar of water. It looked pretty cool (again, didn't photo well). It made a nice addition to the candy staging table inside the door. It would be nice to figure out how to get it to really streak on the glass like the original one. Maybe next year...Muwahahaha!

I would very much like to make this for next year! An un-welcome mat would be very welcome! Our cat one is cute and funny, but the other would be entertaining for the rest of the month. :D

And the whole reason for the blogging this month, the luminaries. They turned out really well, and I might have to take my Aunt up on making her a few. It would be fun to also make a few Nightmare Before Christmas themed ones as well. I'll have to ponder on that a bit. But I doodled and took inspiration directly from the tutorial I found for this years. Next time I can get a bit more creative.

As I was discussing Halloween the last few days while prepping for the carving festivities and decorating, I have vowed to fully celebrate the holiday in grand style next year. That being said, a friend posted this lovely little history of Halloween write up from the Library of Congress. The history and such is one of my favorite things about Halloween. Also found this little gem of a timeline. A co-worker has also lent my books on a few of the major monster myths so I'm hopeing to read through those soon even if the holiday will technically be over.

No comments: