Thursday, October 27, 2011

Mittens of Yggdrasil

In the midst of trying to make all kinds of projects, I knit up some fingerless mitts for myself so that maybe I can take advantage of the nice fall weather and knit outside. This will hopefully help me to get some sunlight so I'm not quite translucent when in the sunshine.

I'd found this pattern on Ravelry. I love the tree! This was also recently after seeing Captain America and renewing my interest in Norse mythology. I still have a burning desire to pick up a mythology book. It's been so long since I read up on the Norse pantheon.

Thus, I waited to find the perfect yarn to knit these up. And low and behold, Etsy came through. AnotherCraftGirl had some other yarn that had caught my eye and when I scoped her shop, she had this luscious chocolate and caramel hand dyed colorway.

It knit up rather quickly once I got the hang of the pattern. This was also a project I semi/pseudo cabled sans cable needle. O_o

That was interesting. It might be a skill I should foster more, but I have a tendency to drop stitches so maybe when the cable isn't overly complicated. Like this pattern I'm itching to knit up from the same designer. I want to find another nice colorway to use, but I'm not sure what. I also kinda want to make them a bit long since the Yggdrasil mitts took less than 50 grams of the skein. They might look cool in some of the semi-sparkly yarn I have lying around.

I was also able to use this opportunity to pull out the recently purchased pumpkin stitch markers. Aren't they cute! The leaf is the different one to mark the round beginning. Oh Etsy, why do you have such amazing things? I wish I was half as crafty as some of those people on there.

As you can see, the mitts look pretty fantastic if I do say so myself. :) They are shorter on the fingers that I'd generally knit, but I wanted to be able to wear them while knitting so need greater finger room to properly tension the yarn.

And yes, this was an excuse to take a picture of my glitterly orange Halloween nails.

Since I got side tracked on discussing other projects, I'd like to add that I have stalled on the last Pay It Forward Project. I might have to change what I make again. We shall see. I won't have too much time since I wanted to get it done for Christmas. Lots of ideas and a few projects started for her that I could finally finish. >_>

No comments: