Monday, August 1, 2011

Warm hands for the Apocalypse!

Gifting of Mystery Project 2 completed! She's a big Supernatural fan, and we're coming to realize how much fandom crossover we actually have. Supernatural, Dr. Who, various books...the list goes on.

I am particularly proud of these as they were the first project that I made major adjustments to and charted on my own. It was a lot of work and research, but they turned out awesome!

Each thing had a meaning. The pentacle is a representation of the Key of Solomon they use to trap demons of exorcism on the show.

The car is Dean's 1967 Chevy Impala (the Metallicar) that they cruise the country in while saving people and hunting things.

The script along the bottom is the Latin phrase Non Timebo Mala (I Will Fear No Evil) which is inscribed on the Colt revolver in the show that can kill anything.

The runes don't have an actual show meaning, I simply needed something to fill the space. Across the back of the hand: protection (algiz), secrets (pertho), ice (isa); Across the palm: journey (raido), strength (urtz), man (mannaz), torch (kenza), tyr (teiwaz), force (thurisaz), need (nauthiz), wealth (fehu), birch (berkana)

The sites (2) (3) explain different things about the runes and while I was reading through them, I found that a lot of them felt/sounded relevant to the show and themes. That is why they made it on to the mitts. That and trying to find a good shot of the Enochian sigils to chart wasn't my cup of tea. The toned down key of Solomon was a bit complicated to knit and chart. But maybe some angel writing next time.

Overall they went over well. I'd randomly decided to make them with vague recollections of her being cold all the time.

No comments: