Sunday, June 19, 2011

Day for the Dads

I always have a really difficult time getting something for my Dad. Be it Christmas, his birthday, or Father's Day. That is because he has a tendency to purchase things he wants himself when he finds them. (Of course, I have this tendency too...drives my friends bonkers.) So this year instead of my working slowly to restore his James Bond book collection, I got him something a bit more sentimental. Which considering he and I don't overly do sentimental is rather amazing.

Etsy had a cool gift suggestion post up for a bit too.

I really like the quote. It just resonated with me.

It was funny yesterday since Dad was preaching at the evening service. He did a really great father's day sermon concerning God as the Father. It was about how a father is in the family and what his role is. Little did I know (a month ago when I purchased it) how much the little quote would match up.

Of course he got in a bit about our adventure on the highway. A week before we were driving back from a friend's graduation and I felt a shaking in the floorboards. When Dad started driving after dinner, it got worse. Over the next 50 miles or so it migrated to the passenger side and the steering wheel was shaking. When we pulled off at a rest stop there was a popping sound. I thought maybe the tire had blown. But nothing seemed wrong. We went in to the bathrooms and when we came out the driver side front tire was canted. Dad found a lug nut sheared off. I noticed that all of them were gone. Needless to say that God was with us that drive.

Between that and his other stories interspersed with scripture, it was a lovely sermon. We were discussing afterwards about how it can effect people. Especially since one lady said that her family never said I love you, taking their cues from her father. I told him that it all about saying something and hoping it reaches someone when they need it to.

Overall it was a nice father's day. We hadn't had a proper celebration in few years with me at school and various activities arising in summer. I gave the keyring at lunch and when Mom read the quote out Dad was silly and acted like a tree in a storm. I think he really liked it. Said he could even put it on his keys since it wouldn't take up loads of space in his pocket. Win for me!

No comments: