Thursday, July 28, 2011

leaving a mark

My youngest cousin Kels is getting married and she's asked me to look after her guestbook. In addition to the guestbook she wants a tree. I honestly had no clue what she was talking about, but finally got some enlightenment from her. She was talking about a thumbprint tree, which is an awesome idea. She's also asked for use of my artistic talent in drawing the tree.

I've done some looking and determined a fairly good size I think. I had to call her and ask how many guests (around 300). Hopefully it's big enough. Though some of the ideas I've seen with "leaves" on the ground are kinda cool too. I have plans for both directions, be it so many or so little.

My biggest trouble was finding a tree that fit her. I know nothing of the groom... Heh.

Anyway I did a massive search and poked through various listings on Etsy. I honestly don't remember where I found the one that I really liked. I did a lot of it similar to the drawing, but added branches and smooshed it so it would fit my piece of paper.

In addition to the names for the bride and groom with the wedding date beneath, I thought a quote would be nice. I was going to do the love is patient bible verse, but decided I needed something shorter. So after googling a bit, I found a few. I asked Mum's opinion and decided on David Viscott's "To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides." I thought that with the tree it was quite fitting. :)

So I've been drawing and tracing and erasing. Now my hand is very tired. I think that I'll finish it up tomorrow with details on the wood for the tree. I'll have to post pictures in a few weeks since I don't know if she pokes through here. :)

No comments: